Thursday, June 02, 2005

The New Comics 5 - Update

Woops!

I was doing my daily fly-by at the Mystifying Oracle where I was alerted to the fact that I missed a book in my weekly comic book roundup. I'd been waiting so long to add the book to my 'be sure to pick it up list' that it had completely slipped by me this week. So, without further ado...

MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN #4: I never picked up a single issue of the Spider-Man/Human Torch mini despite really liking Ty Templeton's stuff, but I've been looking forward to this story written by Jeff Parker and illustrated by Patrick Scherberger and Norman Lee since I first heard about it a month or two ago. I'll be fair and say it right out that Parker's involvement is definintely the draw here as I don't pick up any Marvel Adventures books regularly, but Spidey has always been a favourite character of mine and with the current crop of Spidey titles that leave me...well, less than impressed, I'm happy to be able to pick up a one-shot adventure that I'm more likely to love than hate.

I should also mention that the artwork of Scherberger and Lee looks equally promising. The two images I've seen are pretty great and I'm eager to see how the rest of the book turned out.

Overall, the issue looks like a lot of fun . I'm so tired of being mired down in storylines designed for trade paperback collections that when I see something like this, I just have to throw my hands up in the air and shout 'Huzzah!' If this issue works out the way I think it might, I'll likely be keeping an eye on the rest of the series for another creative team that catches my eye. It may just be worth my while.

mike

No comments: