Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The New Music 7

A couple of CDs this week make the list with the Foo Fighters taking top honours as a recommend and a couple others as curiosities possibly worth checking out...

Foo Fighters: In Your Honor (RCA): I've been waiting for Dave and the boys to put something new out and this week my wish comes true. "In Your Honor" is an ambitious double CD set featuring one rocking disc and one acoustic. Their first single, 'Best of You', comes from the former and is pretty indicative of what the rest of the tracks on Disc 1 sound like.

Sonically, "In Your Honor" wasn't too much of a departure from "One by One" both in performance and in songwriting but, in all fairness, it does show some growth for the band as well. I've also noticed that Grohl has started to write songs with a heavy, rhythmic centre again (like he did on their first two albums) and this is a welcome return as far as I'm concerned. The last two seemed a little guitar centric and lacked some of the hook that got me into the band in the first place.

As far as the acoustic side goes, that's exactly what it is - acoustic. There might be a perception that because it's stripped down that all the songs are mushy and melodic ballads, but they're not. What you get on Disc 2 are Foo Fighters songs that happen to be written without a thumping rock acompaniment for support. I kind of like it and it shows a side of the Foos that you rarely get to see, at least on an album.

Overall it's a nice experiment for the band and I fully support it. Track this one down and give it a tryout if you haven't already.

Stewart Copeland: Orchestralli (Ponderosa): I had no idea this was coming out but based on my previous experiences with Stewart Copeland I figured this was at least worth checking out. Reviews of the album seem to be positive and AMG points out for the uninitiated that "[at] no point does Stewart use the best word to describe his own music: knotty. But this knotty music is filled with effervescence, heart, and uplifting emotion."

Sounds like enough for me to start an investgation. When I track it down perhaps I'll post some comments on it.

Harry Connick Jr. Occasion: Connick on Piano, Vol. 2 (Marsalis Music): Another out-of-left-fielder for me this week. I didn't know Connick had a new one coming out but that was probably due to me not following his career too closely after the relase of 1995's "Star Turtle". Still, two of my favourite albums from Connick remain 1990's "Lofty's Roach Souffle" and 1992's "25" which either featured a number of instrumental tracks or skipped the vocal performances altogether. People love to hear Harry croon but he's a damn good piano player and when he gets to show it off he's smoking (I've always loved watching the guy play live).

This is why I'm looking at this one and giving it the ol', "Hmmmmmmmmm..." From what I've heard, this album is all instrumental with Connick playing duets with saxophonist Branford Marsalis, so its intimate and heartfelt soings could be just what the doctor ordered. Still...

We'll see what happens.

I should also point out that amazing guitarist, Eric Johnson, has a new album out as does legendary avant-garde artist, Brian Eno. Try not to let those slip through the cracks when you're out looking for new music this week if you can help it.

I also wanted to snicker mercilessly at the release of the Backstreet Boys' new album, "Never Gone". I didn't want to go out of my way to snark about this puppy, but I just couldn't leave it uncommented on, now could I?

And that brings another week to a close for me as far as music is concerned. Feel free to comment on what you picked up this week or to chide me for my picks. I have thick skin. I can take it.

'Til next time...

mike

No comments: