Monday, June 06, 2005

The New Music 6

Only one stand-out for me on the music front this week...

Coldplay - X&Y: The much awaited and much ballyhooed new album from British mope rockers, Coldplay is on the list even though I'm not hopping up and down to get this one.

In fact, I have a bit of a bizarre love/ignore relationship with Coldplay that goes all the way back to their first album, 'Parachutes' (which I have yet to own). I mean, I saw them live in 2003 and it was one of the best shows I'd ever seen but it still wasn't enough to get me to go out and buy an album. I only recently picked up a copy of "Rush of Blood to the Head" for $5 in a sale bin. What's up with that?

Anyway, the new single, "Speed of Sound", sounds pretty decent and if past efforts are any indication, Coldplay will put out a nice, solid pop album with some nice textures that'll get under my skin and live there for a while until I finally break down and buy it.

I should also mention that I'm impressed that this one hasn't leaked all over the internet yet. Whatever they're doing with this album, they're doing a good job of keeping it under wraps.

Ringo Starr - Choose Love: I thought Ringo was too busy developing super-hero properties with Stan Lee to put out another album but there it is! I was honestly surprised to see this on the new releases list, but why not? Why should Ringo have to retire and let Paul be the only survivng Beatle to be making music, right?

I think it's been a few years since his last new recording and I know nothing of this album so I won't comment on it beyond what I already have. I will say that I've seen a good review or two on it so bravo for Ringo. I might hunt this one down out of curiosity, just to see what it's like.

Anyway, that's it for now. See you next week!

mike

No comments: