Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The New DVD 8

Nothing coming out this week that catches my attention, so unless you're a fan of Miss Congeniality 2 I'll just mention my recent Sunset Boulevard acquisition...

Sunset Boulevard: I wasn't expecting a lot from this 'Special Edition' when I picked it up but I have to admit that this here is one nice little DVD package. Paramount isn't especially known for their extensive bonus features, or even above average technical specs on most of their releases, but Sunset Boulevard seems to have been one of the few offerings to slip through and reach beyond the marginal.

On top of being a great movie that takes not-so-subtle stabs at 1950s Hollywood (which resembles the Hollywood of 2005 moreso than we like to admit) the disc sports an impressive set of features that include an audio commentary by author Ed Sikov (author of On Sunset Boulevard: The Life and Times of Billy Wilder), a couple of half-hour long documentaries on the making of the film, the music and costume designer Edith Head, and some rare script pages and deleted scenes from the film. The disc also claims to have a fully restored picture and soundtrack (which I'll have to take their word for because I've never seen what the previous versions had looked like).

The disc originally came out in 2002 but I picked it up because I found it for a price I couldn't refuse. It was well worth the time and effort as the movie is great and the features informative and comprehensive. If you are a fan of Wilder or old movies, you probably can't go wrong adding this one to your collection.

Here's hoping next week has some better offerings...

mike

No comments: