Thursday, June 23, 2005

Keeping Busy

Still busy here at the Jozic ranch but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I had what I think was a really good day today. It saw the end of the school year for the second of my three kids and a small return for me to the world of reading comic books.

I did a little reading which included finishing the Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron collection, "Warrior Princess", and starting in on Oni Press' Hopeless Savages: Ground Zero. It's a little frustrating because in the last two days I've stumbled across two Andi Watson contributions that I don't have which means I'm behind!!! Andi is one of my top three creators in the biz and while it's great to see new Andi material in the form of the Hopeless Savages trade and The Complete Geisha, I don't actually have them in my collection and now I have to go out and get them. Not that either is a waste of money, it just means more spending of monies I don't currently have.

I also have a load of other books that I'm working through like Electric Girl (which I'm not caring much for), 2 Sisters by Matt Kindt (which is interesting but not sweeping me away yet), Masashi tanaka's Gon Color Spectacular (which is cute), DHC's Happy Endings anthology (which has some really great stuff in it but that Miller bit leaves a bad taste in my mouth) and Michael Rabagliati's Paul Has a Summer Job (which I haven't even cracked the spine on yet).

So, lots of fun, lots of reading.

I'm also trudging through some books like the first X-Wing novel by Michael Stackpole, "Rogue Squadron" as well as the Constantine and Batman Begins adaptations.

On the film front I recently bought myself Young Sherlock Holmes on DVD. A guilty pleasure, sure, but it was $6.88 so I couldn't resist the urge. It has no bonus features to speak of, but it is in 5.1 surround and, I believe, has a new video transfer. Haven't cracked the plastic on it yet, but will get to it soon enough.

Lastly, I have my Q&A from Brett Matthews back regarding the Serenity comic. I also asked some questions about the Angel mini-series he did with Joss a few years ago and I got a couple of comments from him on that score which was nice. Brett seems like a nice but very busy guy. The Serenity book promises to be good and he's also writing a feature for Universal on his own now, so godspeed to Brett.

Still waiting on Seth Fisher, but Seth has never let me down. He's good people.

Next to lastly, there has been little movement on the movie front since I completed my last once over on the script I adapted. It needs a little more work, I think, but it looks good overall. I'm not sure how the filming is going to work this summer since the place I planned on getting all the equipment from is moving and shut down for 3 months, but it's still nice here in September, so who knows, we may yet see Photographs of Melencholy Girls go into principal photography after all. I'll keep you posted and probably start the Production Journal if things look good.

That's it. A much longer post than I thought I'd be able to spit out, to be perfectly honest. I hope to be back very soon with more good news and fun!

mike

No comments: