Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The New Music 5

Slow week all around, it seems, although there is at least one CD that I am singling out as a pick of the week...

Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth: The Gallagher Bros. have been pretty absent from the music scene in the last few years, but they've returned rejuvenated, refreshed and with a pretty strong album that nobody will appreciate.

Why do I say that? Well, I was ready to dismiss the album myself until my player - which I unknowingly set on repeat - played the whole thing again and I started to hear some interesting things.

For starters, Noel is finally calling upon influences outside of The Beatles because you get the definite impression that the heavy-handed 'John and Paul reincarnated' vibe they've been giving off since 'Be Here Now' is being left behind in favour of focusing on what an Oasis album should sound like. Actually, that may be jumping the gun a bit since I've heard that all the band members contributed songs to 'DBTT', but whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I heard some Dylan mixed in there, as well as some Who and a few others I can't recall at the moment, and this is a pleasant and refreshing change.

They've also left behind their 'wall-of-sound' style - so prevalent on 'Morning Glory' and 'Be Here Now' - in favour of a more melodic soundscape, and this time 'round, when Noel and Liam trade off on the vocals you get the feeling that they're doing so because it's what's best for the song, not because they were at each others throats or Liam just decided not to show up one day.

There's little pretension here and a definite collaborative feel to 'DBTT' that you have to give the boys credit for. This is, plain and simple, a good rock'n'roll album and I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

mike

2 comments:

Parker said...

They still ain't the Stone Roses.

Mike Jozic said...

Who is, Jeff, who is?

And really, the two aren't even in the same category. It's like comparing apples and oranges...or Rob Liefeld and Jack Kirby.

By the way, I wouldn't have pegged you as a Stone Roses fan. You're just full of surprises, man.

mike