Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The New DVD 5

Amazingly, there isn't a single DVD that I can track down as having come out this week that I would recommend or want.

Slow week, or what?

Since there's nothing new to recommend, I'm going to take this chance to mention an older DVD that I recently picked up that was money well spent...

Wings of Desire: This is one of Wim Wenders' all-time masterpiece's and one of my favourite films of all time. As luck would have it, a couple of weeks ago I ran across it just sitting there on the shelf at a chain store for about $10 less than regular retail so I snatched it up.

The disc is one of MGM's many and varied Special Editions which, if you know anything about MGM DVDs, could mean almost nothing for features and presentation or the proverbial kitchen sink. Fortunately, Wings of Desire is the latter with a commentary by director Wenders and star Peter Falk, deleted scenes with commentary, a documentary (not a featurette, a full-length doc), trailer and original advertising artwork. Roll all of that up with a nice video transfer and audio mix and you get a must-have DVD for your collection.

So there you go. Nothing brand-scorching-new to make the pick list this week, but a possible introduction to a great movie by a great filmmaker for some, and a reminder to those who know the movie and don't have it that this baby is out there and it has your name on it.

Next week, The Machinist and maybe a Star Trek movie if I'm pressed for content.

mike

No comments: