Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The New DVD 4

I'm all about DVD Season sets this week, and all of them animated...

Batman: Animated Series Vol. 3: 28 episodes of one of the best animated series of all time featuring one of the best adventure characters of all time and all in a nicely packaged DVD season set - I'm not seeing any negative points here, are you? And if that isn't enough for ya, the set also features commentary on three epiosdes by series creator Bruce Timm, producer/director Boyd Kirkland, writer Paul Dini and composer Shirley Walker (her first time in the commentary track, I believe).

Sure there could be more features (I still remember when I went through every commentary on my Futurama Season 1), and a more extensive look at the creation and process of making these cartoons would satisfy the animation buff in me, but what they've included is good and I'm really looking forward to picking this one up.

Samurai Jack - Season 2: I think I've waited for this almost as long as I waited for Stargate SG-1 Season 2. This set is a looooong time coming and, while I don't know what the hold-up was, I'm glad to finally see it hitting the store shelves.

I loved this series from the first time I saw it. It had a style, energy and humour that was different from anything that Tartakovsky had done before it and, has had an impact on everything he's done since, like the new Clone Wars stories he just did for George Lucas.

I can't find any bonus feature listings for the set and I will be very disappointed if there isn't at least one commentary track or featurette, but I'm still going to put my cash down for this baby the next time I'm in a video shop.

Super Friends - Season 2: Honourable mention this week goes to the Super Friends Season 2 set. I'd only shell out for this one if the price is right, but after watching some of my kids episodes on DVD, it kind of got the nostalgia flowing and I now have a whole new soft spot for this series.

No word on features that I can find (not that I looked really hard, or anything) but the individual discs they released had audio intros by the producer, or something like that, so I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was included with the set.

'Til next week!

mike

No comments: