Monday, May 02, 2005

The New Music

Received my All Music Guide Newsletter again informing me of tomorrow's CD releases. A quick once over gives me a few ideas of some things that might be worth checking out...

The Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday: This band was dubbed one of the top 20 greatest bands you weren't listening to last year by Spin magazine, and I've always meant to check them out since reading that. The few bits that I've heard don't really distinguish them as being the second coming or anything (in fact, they sort of sound like a punkier, drunker Men at Work), but after getting my hands on some full tracks I may change my mind. Probably won't buy it outright, but I'll put the feelers out on this one.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth: Reznor and gang are back and it's been a while since I've bought one of his albums. We had a parting of ways some time back due to everything he was putting out started sounding the same to me. It wasn't bad music, just not what I expected from NIN. Anyways, I've had a little distance from them and I think it might be time to test the waters once again. From what I hear this album isn't exactly a trailblazer either, but I've been gone long enough not to notice.

Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm: I've always been a quiet admirer of Aimee Mann. The urge has never struck me strong enough to actually go out and buy one of her albums, but I've taken them out of the library and given them a listen to. She has the same sort of approach to her music as her husband has to his, and as a fan of Mr. Penn, I can say that it appeals to me when I hear that sensibility on her tracks. The bits I've sampled off of 'The Forgotten Arm' actually sound pretty strong, and I may just take the leap with this particular release.

John Williams - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: I'm a film score nut and what collection would be complete without the Star Wars soundtracks? The trailers for the film make this flick look pretty damn operatic, so I'm hoping Williams score reflects that. With any luck, we'll also see the return of some familiar themes. Williams really impressed me with how he managed to create two entirely brand new Star Wars scores without giving up more than a hint of the music we've come to know and love, so I hope this one is an all out orgy/celebration of the two trilogies coming together.

Update: By the by, I managed to get my hands on an advance copy of the OST and all I can say is (in my best James Earl Jones baritone)..."Impressive."

They Might Be Giants - A User's Guide to They Might Be Giants: I'm not a fan of greatest hits albums, but it's nice to see TMBG's presence on the racks again. These guys never fail to disappoint. This collection also distinguishes itself by including their Malcolm in the Middle theme (previously unavailable on disc, if I'm not mistaken), "Boss of Me" as well as the "Dr. Evil" theme from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Tullycraft - Disenchanted Hearts Unite: Okay, I admit it. The sentamentalist in me saw the title for Tullycraft's new album and said, "hmmm, sounds like it might be right up your ally, self." I've never heard anything from these guys before this, but what I've heard I kind of like. There's a quality to them that's reminiscient of Stars only less refined. It seems like a nice collection of poppy, hooky, earnest stuff. I'll check this out in one form or another, for sure.

That's all for now.

Ciao!

mike

No comments: