Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Jim Aparo Passes Away

According to various sources, legendary comic book artist Jim Aparo has passed away. I was never a big follower of his work but I always appreciated his professionalism (how many young turks have turned in as much work on time in the last 10 or 20 years compared to pros like Aparo), and there's no denying the guy was a solid illustrator and storyteller.

I think it's unfortunate that most of my experience with Aparo's work comes from his time on Batman and during the whole 'Knightfall' storyline - not his finest work, to be sure (but now that I think about it I should see who his inkers were at the time). Still, I did run across an issue of Aquaman from the '70s a few years back that he had pencilled and I remember being pleasantly surprised at how great it all looked.

I think this may be as good a time as any to hunt down some old DC comics, don't you?

My condolences, of course, to the family for their loss.

mike

No comments: