Saturday, July 30, 2005

Hey, Hey, The Gang's All Here!

Vacation is officially over. The kids are all home as of last night and we're already swinging back into chaos. On the plus side, it also looks like it will be business as usual for the wife and me for a while. That interview with Bear McCreary that's been burning a hole in my hard drive will probably be hitting the 'net later today sometime and the same with my Keith Giffen Update (feat. my interview with Colleen Doran, of course).

So, that's good news.

Also, speaking of interviews, I managed to grab a book yesterday that has me pretty excited. It's called The Art of the Interview: Lessons from a Master of the Craft and it's by Lawrence Grobel, the interviewer's interviewer. The book is all about learning the craft of interviewing or acts as a guidebook on how to hone your already existing skills. So far, I'm already in awe of the thing and I'm busily working my way through it.

I take the interview schtick pretty seriously and I'm always trying to broaden my palette, if you will. It's important to me that I do my best not to just ask those 10 simple questions that you see in too many interviews, these days. You know the ones. They often include little gems like, "Where do you get your ideas" and "What's your favourite colour"? What disheartens me is that there are so many prominent internet comic journalists (none of whom I will name at this point) who rarely rise above this. I don't know if it's a matter of volume, or laziness, or what it is (I'm sure I'll think on it some more, now) but it's just damn sloppy and not very interesting to read.

Anyway, I'll likely be posting on this topic, as well as the book, in a future post so I'll leave the discussion at that, for now.

I've also got some linkblog stuff to do a little later and I'll be sure to mention when and where the interviews go up when they are live.

mike

No comments: