Monday, January 24, 2005

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Little Star is the newest offering from one of my favourite comic guys (and I wager, Johnny Bacardi's from how many times he's mentioned Love Fights Vol. 2 over on his blog), Andi Watson. His previous books, Breakfast After Noon, Slow News Day, and Dumped were/are some of the best romance/slice-of-life stories out there and I've been looking forward to Little Star ever since I heard about it in a Comics Journal interview a couple of years back.


The story is about a thoroughly modern "involved" Dad and you get to watch him stagger through the pee, the poo, and the puke in a sleep-deprived haze. Something I can relate to, having three kids of my own.

Originally, I thought this was supposed to be the sequel to Breakfast After Noon from the way Andi has spoken about this project in the past, but I guess it's not. Only in theme, I guess, which is fine, although it would have been nice to see those characters again (like their cameo in Dumped) even in a small role - like how thrilled I was when Nick Hornby added Dick from High Fidelity into the briefest of cameos in How to be Good.

"I can make you a tape if you want."

Comic gold, baby.

Looking back on this post I realised that I could have mentioned this book a long time ago since I've known about it for a few weeks now (and it's not like I couldn't have used the extra posts), but I guess I was kind of waiting on word from Andi himself as to whether or not he was up for the interview I requested with him. No reply yet, but it usually takes a while to get a response from Andi. I'll maybe try again in a couple of days.

I'll keep you posted!

mike

No comments: