Friday, January 14, 2005

Somebody Save Me

I'm wondering how Smallville manages to stay on the air week after week. I mean, I haven't been an avid viewer of the show since day one, but when it first started out back in 2001, I remember tuning into what was one of the best pilots I'd seen in years. A well-written super-hero story without tights, nice production values, a great deal of respect for the source material and beautiful direction by David Nutter, one of the best guys making pictures move on TV.

But I'm sitting here watching the 10th episode of the fourth season right now, and I don't know how it could have gone so far, or so very wrong. The characters are insipid, the plotline is...mind-blowingly ridiculous (to say the least) and the writing is terribly overwrought.

Still, the show manages to trundle on and remains one of The WB's big winners.

Can anyone explain this to me?

mike

No comments: