Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Picking Up the Garbage

I'm really learning to enjoy my AMG New Release Newsletter. Case in point, I may not have known for some time about the new Garbage CD, 'Bleed Like Me', had it not been for that simple e-mail that I received on Monday, and this, their fourth studio album, has long been anticipated in the Jozic household.

Having given it a cursory listen to, I can say that it sounds pretty good so far. Like the three albums before it, they monkey with their sound a little bit (going for something more reminiscient of their eponymous first effort) but don't change it enough that it jars the listener too much - although the track "Why Do You Love Me" takes a crack at it about 3 minutes in. Other songs that caught my attention are the title track, "Bleed Like Me", which is essentially the requisite 'stop and take a breather after the first three tracks' song, but Shirley Manson gives a really nice, low key, vocal performance which you don't get to hear too often and bears mentioning. "Sex Is Not the Enemy" has a bit of a Breeders vibe to it and "Why Don't You Come Over", came out of some creative wellspring where Queens of the Stone Age and The Go-Go's formed a hybrid band.

Overall, I have to say that I'm really enjoying this album so far. I kinda figured I would, but after the disaster that was 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' last year, I don't take any chances.

mike

No comments: