Wednesday, April 13, 2005

My Daughter in XTC

So, I'm in the bathroom and from the other room, my daughter Kate's room, I can hear her singing, "One, two, three, four, five...senses working overtime..." Of course it's 'Senses Working Overtime' by XTC, but I can't for the life of me figure out where she heard it. Granted, I do have their 2-disc singles collection out from the library right now, so I concluded that maybe that was how it got into her head. Hell, she still sings "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane to anyone who'll listen.

Anyway, turns out that the Mandy Moore CD she got for christmas includes a cover of the song . So she's familiar with it through her own channels and is singing along which brings us to the part of the story that you and I essentially joined in.

Sometimes kids can surprise you, and Kate's no exception (she likes to surprise you once every few hours or so, just to keep you on your toes). And, really, regardless of who's singing it (it's not as god-awful horrible as you may think), the truth of the matter is my 6 year old kid is running around and singing XTC songs at the top of her lungs. I can't help but feel I've raised her right.

mike

No comments: