Monday, March 14, 2005

Galactica Bonus Features Online

I haven't really talked about how much I love the new Battlestar Galactica, but it's pretty much become my new favourite show over the last few months. I'm a fan of Ron Moore, so I'm not really surprised with how strong the show is, nor am I surprised that I love it so much. If you've ever read an interview with the guy, you'd see that he's a smart writer and he was a great writing influence on the Star Trek franchise.

In a funny way, I watched and loved the old Galactica as a kid, and I watch and love the new Galactica as an adult. There's a neat full-circleness to the whole affair and that kind of appeals to me, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I found out about a week ago that the website for Galactica has included deleted scenes from the episodes in the Episode section among the synopses. As a bonus features junkie, I thought this was absolutely brilliant for Sc-Fi to do and truly hope that it influences other sites for other shows to follow suit. This is what official websites are for, not just to show trailers and production numbers and ads for other shows on the network.

And to add some icing on that cake that is the deleted scenes, today I discovered that they have also included audio commentaries by Ron Moore for the most recent episodes, "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" and "The Hand of God". I'm just giddy with excitement over this development and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Insert girly squeal here.

I've just watched the first one and it was well done. Moore doesn't disappoint or bore the viewer with uninteresting minutia, and gives a nice outline of how the episode was conceived, fits into the overall season arc, and throws in a few anecdotes for good measure.

Sci-Fi, I love you!

mike

No comments: