Monday, December 12, 2005

Turn Up the Suck

Well, now I'm annoyed. I've managed to acquire (never you mind how) the 'full run' of Kitchen Confidential since my post last night and I'm sorry to announce that it is my new favourite show - all four episodes of it, that is.

I'm not one to normally watch sitcoms. I find the format tired and the quality of your average half-hour comedy to be entirely lacking. Thi show is funny, though. Really funny. It's also fast-paced, clever, sexy and sharper than any other sitcom I've seen in a while. It's reminiscient of shows like Sex and the City (which I'm sure is the touch of Darren Starr) and Scrubs, but it offers an entirely new flavour that I found really appealing.

Bradley Cooper is great as the lead character, Jack Bourdain. He never feels like he's playing a character, he just inhabits it. He also looks pretty natural in the kitchen which may be the directors or may be Cooper doing research, I don't know. His supporting cast, I should mention, are just as great and own their characters as well. Even the ditzy hostess at Nolita sells it without becoming a caricature.

I realise that it's over but, believe it or not, I'm genuinely thankful for the four episodes they aired. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to be entertained for 84 minutes by this great cast and smart writers. Maybe we'll see the unaired episodes on DVD sometime in the future - this is FOX, after all.

mike

No comments: