Monday, December 12, 2005

I Didn't Start the Fire

Well, if you're a Buffy or Angel fan, you've probably read my interview with David Fury or seen the shitstorm it has created among Whedon Fandom assembled. In the last 48 hours, my site has received about 16,000 hits and I've managed to garner the attention of Tim Minear and Joss Whedon, who have both commented on Whedonesque regarding all the commotion. Today, David Fury himself came out of the blue to throw in his two cents and clarify some of the things that have caused people to talk about this interview so much.

As for me, I'm kind of emotionally spent over the whole thing. I know that sounds retarded, but I never expected so much attention to come from this interview that is 14 months old. It's a great interview, if I may say so, and I'm awfully proud of it, but I've done tons of Q&As with people before and I've never seen traffic like this. Makes me wish every interview I did was a Buffy, Angel or Firefly related interview (as readerships go, these folks are the best).

Having guys like Joss and Tim suddenly post and giving clarifications made me feel like some kind of rabble-rouser, or something. I always find that I'm torn between two interview methods: the first being the traditional 'get that story' kind of interview where you ask the questions you know you shouldn't just to see if you get an answer, and the method I generally use, which is 'give to your subject and they, in turn, will give to you'. It's kind of a mutual appreciation society. When people feel comfortable they say things they might not to someone they feel they have to be guarded with.

I'm interested in personalities, not breaking the big story. It's why I know I'll never be a great journalist. I do love talking to people, though, and giving my readers what I hope is a similar experience to sitting down with that person themselves and chatting with them. That's what I tried to do with the Fury interview, that's what I'm trying to do with my Seth Fisher interview(s) and many others.

That's why the attention is both exciting and alarming.

Anyway, I think I may have just had a taste of what a person's 15 minutes is supposed to be like.

I'm going to go and watch some more Kitchen Confidential and maybe go for a Super Big Gulp in a bit.

mike

No comments: