Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What Lurks Behind...The Fog

I picked up the recent remake of John Carpenter's classic ghost story, The Fog, a couple of days ago. I'd been eyeing it for some time and finally decided to grab it as part of a buy-two-get-one-free deal. I don't mind Tom Welling and I loved Rupert Wainwright's Stigmata, so the worst I figured the movie could be was passable. And, if it sucked eggs, it came with an audio commentary track and a number of deleted scenes which usually makes even the worst movies on DVD worth a pass for me.

As it tuns out, I actually enjoyed the movie up until the ending. FOr those of you who haven't seen the movie and don't want to know any spoilers, stop reading now. For those of you who have seen it, or just don't care, I'm somewhat puzzled over the revalation that the modern day Elizabeth was some sort of reincarnation of the formerly deceased Elizabeth Dane, wife of the big cheese head ghost, Blake. Nothing in the story up 'til then supports that particular little twist at the end. Sure, there's the dreams and her being 'called' back to the island, but the ghosts came back after the sunken bag was disturbed and came back for revenge on the town's founders - a.k.a. their murderers. Why Elizabeth is the reincarnation of ELizabeth Dane, why she became a ghost at the end, and why it stopped their purging of the town without killing Welling's character, Nick Castle, I'm having trouble reconciling.

If anyone can clear this up I'd love the input. I thought Wainwright might do that in the commentary but it was either edited out or he never bothered mentioning it outright.

Ah, well.

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: