Wednesday, January 10, 2007

52 Month One - Issues 1-4

On finishing the first four issues of 52 I thought I would chime in with a couple of thoughts.

For starters, overall, I'm liking what I've read so far. I'm liking the format, I'm liking the feeling of working my way through each day of each week of the year and following the lives of these characters. The mysteries they've planted for Montoya and the Question, Ralph Dibney, and the missing scientists are moving at a pace which isn't moving too fast for the structure of the narrative but gives you plenty enough new information so as to keep it interesting enough to continue without getting too frustrated. Frustrated to the point of quitting (says someone who used to watch Lost.

The writing team is doing a marvelous job of holding things together in such a way that you can't really tell who wrote what dialogue but each of their distinctive voices can be heard (if that makes any sense). And, as far as I can tell, there have been no narrative 'bumps' or gross inconsistencies that I can see in the last 80-odd pages of story so I have to say that I am impressed. There are just enough wacky ideas, interesting character developments and unsolved mysteries to keep me coming back for a few more issues to see how it all holds up.

The art was passable. Pretty good, in fact. Joe Bennett does the job he's asked to do and does it without making anything too complicated or trying to be fancy. This sort of undertaking needs clear, concise storytelling from both the writers and the art team, and that's what we get here. I'm looking forward to seeing what other art teams accomplish under the same set of circumstances.

So, there you have it. Not a raging endorsement for the project but a solid thumbs up and a commitment to read more of the same.

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: