Saturday, October 28, 2006

Halloween Clip-O-Rama Days 2 & 3

My internet connection has gone to crap so I'm going to have to post my updates from work here 2 at a time until I get it sorted out. Two today, two on Monday,I'm sure.

Anyway, this time around we have a clip from two really fun movies, Dog Soldiers and John Carpenter's The Thing. We'll start with the former:



This was one of those 'Have you seen this movie' kinds of experiences where most of my friends and close acquaintances had seen it before me and tried to spread the word about it. It was a bit before my listen to what people tell you to watch/hear/read stage of my life so I was skeptical about this low-budget gore-fest with werewolves and SAS soldiers. It just didn't sound too promising at face value. Once I finally sat down and watched it, though, I was totally thrilled with what these guys put together - its humour, its horror, its timing, acting and story were all very cool and a real breath of fresh air for werewolf movies.

As for the latter:



I've been fascinated with this movie since I was 10 years old. It was a whole different experience for me back then, but the sheer love of the movie and its nail-biting suspense soldiers on. I love MacReady's hat, the many incarnations of the monster courtesy of Rob Bottin, Wilford Brimley was a hoot and this clip of one of my favourite cinema moments of all time. I remember watching it late one night with some buddies and when this thing popped, my stone cold friend launched 4 feet off the couch.

Priceless.

Not to mention it started a long-lasting love affair with Carpenter which continues to this day. In fact, you'll probably be seeing another Carpenter movie on the list before the 31st.

Well, they're bugging me to get off the computer so I better bail. Until next time!

mike

No comments: