Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Zero Hour



Just got back from watching the movie with my daughter and brother and all I can say is, "WOO-HOO!!!"

I can't remember the last time I came out of a summer blockbuster and was completely satisfied with absolutely everything about it. I, mean, I have absolutely no complaints. This is me we're talkin' about, here. And I gotta say, sitting in that darkened theatre tonight, watching those credits rolling by, I was frickin' six years old again sitting in the Towne Cinemas on 20th Street watching the original for the first time (which always makes me think of Miss Teschmacher taking the chunk of kryptonite off of Superman's neck which is my most vivid memory of that day). I was totally immersed in the experience and I'm almost embarassed to admit that I giggled like a schoolgirl during certain parts of it, too. Especially the in-jokes (one of which I seem to be the only one geeked out enough to have caught) that referenced the previous films.

KITTY: Lex, you act like you've been here before.


Heh-heh. Lex in the Fortress of Solitude. I remember that one.

Anyway, Singer did with this movie what he did with X-Men only times 10. It's bigger, it's more iconic and it's got more heart but at its core he kept the spirit of the idea and characters, updated them a bit, enriched them a bit, and gave the viewers a rollercoaster ride of a movie with fantastic set-pieces and amazing production design. Routh was sublime as Clark/Superman, Spacey was deliciously diabolical as Luthor and everyone else did an equally bang up job with their roles. Hell, even Parker Posey had me rooting for her by the end (and I'm usually the one in the audience hoping she'll die in the first five minutes of any movie she's in).

I'm still just...vibrating from the experience. I'm going to drive my wife nuts in the next few weeks, just you watch. She knows to duck and cover when I'm kinda meh about a movie. I think she'll hit the bunker on this one.

Oh, and since she's still up, I got a quick 1 minute review from Emma who had this to say about the film:

"It was GREAT! I thought the story was pretty good, the acting was so good you couldn't even tell they were, and the effects were great. I liked the whole entire thing.

Woo-Hoo!"

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

It's late, I work tomorrow and I know I'm going to have a hell of a time getting to sleep, so I'm going to leave it at that for now. Maybe I'll post again from work.

Until then I have just five words to say:

Go. See. This. Movie. NOW!

You owe it to yourself.

mike

No comments: