Friday, June 02, 2006

Facing Reality

So I'm stuck finding my way home from work the other day (actually, only half the way...I was meeting up with the wife and kids before going the last stretch) and I wind up in a little used music store we have downtown called The Vinyl Exchange. I'm poking arund looking for anything that may be cool. Considering a lot of the music I listen to isn't available domestically it pays to check there because these guys will often have imports or singles you won't find anywhere else in town.

I checked out the Blur section, like I always do. I also peeked at what they had for Belly albums since I've rediscovered them through an episode of Homicide. I also checked to see if they had Phantom Moon, the ever elusive Duncan Sheik album which we never got here above the 49th. Those and many other bins were poked and prodded for their treasures but what I stumbled on and eventually purchased was a used copy of David Bowie's last effort, Reality, in great condition and for only $10. It was a steal of a deal. The two-disc limited edition has become harder to find locally and this was the one album of Bowie's recent output that I had yet to pick up, so...

I've only listened to it briefly, but so far I'm liking the sound. A little more traditional rock, with some jazz and experimental stuff thrown in. Kind of reminiscient of his Budha of Suburbia period (a highly underrated album in the annals of Bowiedom) which bridged the last of his pop albums (Black Tie, White Noise) with his newer, edgier, artier sound (Outside).

Good stuff, overall. I'll try and post more on it later when it's had a chance to sink in a bit more.

mike

No comments: