Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Primal Hunting

Just to show you how primitive my game tastes are, I've added a link on the sidebar to Planet AvP, the one-stop source for Aliens vs. Predator info and files for as long as I can remember. While everyone else and their dog are playing XBOX 360 or waiting for the PS3 to arrive, I'm sitting in front of my computer and playing the expansion pack to a game which is fondly remembered but probably considered obsolete.

The reason for even mentioning it is because, aside from having nothing else to post about today, I've started using my computer for more than musing on the blog and watching videos again. Essentially, I got a little bored with doing the same old thing to unwind all the time - watching movies, watching TV shows, reading books or comics. I was looking for a change and since my brother had the XBOX I figured it might be a good idea to dust off some of my PC games and give them a whirl.

I used to be a fairly regular gamer. I played Half-Life, AvP (and it's sequel), Counterstrike, Day of Defeat and a number of others while they were still considered 'cool'. But as the games got more hi-tech, and the ability to upgrade my system grew more limited, I sort of gave up on the whole thing and turned to the XBOX my brother and I purchased together for my electronic kicks.

You know, now that I think about it, having the last Indy game play like shit on my PC might have had something to do with it as well. It seemed to be designed for a platform system, so I just sort of got in line, I guess.

Anyway, I hadn't played the expansion pack for AvP2 yet and figured that nine missions (3 per species) would be enough to keep my brain stimulated for brief spurts of time here and there throughout the week. So, I installed it, have been playing it, and remember how much I enjoyed doing this way back when.

I'm on the second mission of the Corporate (a.k.a. human) character's storyline right now which is pretty decent. The game is a prequel to the original AvP2's story and the game creators claim that secrets will be revealed and unanswered questions from AvP2 will finally be put to rest but, unfortunately, I can't remember the original storyline beyond some xenomorphs, a Predator creeping around and a bunch of Marines sent in to clean up after all hell breaks loose.

Maybe if I could find a summary of the original somewhere.

Anyway, there may be some good news on the pocketbook situation after this week (job interview #2), so who knows, maybe a system upgrade isn't too far into the future for me after all and I can start playing with the big boys again. Get a headset and everything.

Ah well, back to my day.

mike

No comments: