Thursday, June 01, 2006

Reading Usagi

Being a Groo reader from way back, it can be said I've been aware of the existence of Stan Sakai's anthropomorphic samurai for some time. Until recently I never bothered sit down and actually read Usagi Yojimbo but since finding the collected Usagi sitting at my local library I couldn't help but pick them up.

In just about every interview I've read with Walt Simonson he's mentioned Usagi as one of the books he always makes a point to read. I know exactly what he means. Four volumes in (plus the collected Space Usagi) and I'm hooked. The story never stops being interesting, the art never stops being gorgeous and Sakai's craftsmanship maintains a level of depth, consistency and entertainment that has few equals in the industry.

If you haven't read any Usagi yet, I reccomend making the trip to your library or local comic shop and giving the little guy a try. It may just be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I should have a little Usagi sketch done by Stan at Comic Con 2000. A smart person would dig it out and scan it to post here on the blog. I'll see what I can do.

mike

No comments: