Thursday, June 22, 2006

Brainiac Attacks

Being a huge fan of the Bruce Timm produced DC animated shows I was elated to find out that they were making a new Superman D2DVD movie. The fact that they brought Tim Daly back as the voice for Supes was even more exciting since he hadn't done the voice work since the show went off the air in '98, or whenever it was.

Yesterday I realised that the DVD had been released and took a run down to my local Wal-Mart to check it out and with high hopes to buy it, bring it home and devour it.

The cover art was pretty underwhelming (picture at right) but Warner has never been known for truly impressive packaging on their D2DVD releases, so I was going to let it slide. Unfortunately, after looking over the disc, I was also underwhelmed by the fact that there were no bonus features to speak of despite sporting a price tag of $18(CAN). Sure, there's still a movie there, and one I've been really excited about seeing, but even the most lackluster WB videos have at least a few lame trailers on them. I just assumed for a show that was broadcast on CN a couple of nights ago, there'd be some added value content.

So, I decided to let it sit for a day or two. I'm always happy about shaky purchaes when I sit on them for a day or two.

This has created a problem, however, because in the meantime I've seen a trailer for the movie which has left me...wanting, for lack of a better word. Granted it's just a trailer, but it looks like this one was done very much on the cheap and as a cash grab to tie into the whole Superman month thing. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll watch it, and eventually own it, I'm just disappointed, that's all.

More whining, I guess.

Anyway, I have to get ready for work.

Later!

mike

2 comments:

Hero Supreme said...

dude, save your money. i own everything Timm, and love Superman the Animated Series, and I would not be caught dead with this in my collection. I saw it for free on Cartoon Network, and watching it was a chore. I have a review if you still have doubts (there are a couple spoilers).

http://servewithchips.blogspot.com/2006/07/ink-blots-xxi-superman-brainiac.html

Mike Jozic said...

I haven't bought it yet but I did get a chance to finally see it. I read a review of it once that referred to it as an alternate reality Superman story and I have to concur. I liked seeing Lance Henriksen doing voice work on a WB animated series, but I missed the old Brainiac (Corey Burton, I believe).

I'm going to make a full post on it sometime in the near future.

I'll check out your review, too. Thanks for the heads up.