Saturday, February 05, 2005

Lost In Translation

So I'm in a funk, feelin' moody and trying to figure out what to do with myself when I spy my brother's copy of Lost In Translation that I've had on my shelf for the last...I dunno...5 months. I decided to pop it in because, come on, when you're in a funk what we all really want is more gasoline for the fire to burn that mood down to the ground until it's nothing but smoldering ashes, right? And from everything I've heard about the film, it sounded like it was just the thing to do the job.

The movie sat somewhere between exactly what I expected and nothing like what I thought it would be, and I appreciated it more for it. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson put in two fine and very real performances and Sofia Coppola proves once again that she is a better writer/director than she ever was an actor. I mean, that ending she pulled off? That was just sweet - and if you saw the movie and liked it, you know what I'm talking about.

I just loved how quiet this movie is, and so lonely and so sentimental. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, it just pulls me in. It's like full immersion viewing for me. Lost in Translation just left a real impression and I look forward to when I get the opportunity to watch it again. A movie this nuanced can only get better the more times you watch it.

I should also give a special shout out to the music underscoring Coppola's movie, particularly the lush and ethereal music courtesy of Kevin Shields. I'm hooked on "City Girl" at the moment which, I think, is track 2 on the soundtrack if my memory isn't completely failing me at the moment.

Hmmm...Maybe I should see if my brother has the soundtrack, too.

mike

No comments: