Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Johnny Demonic

Ha!

I get a kick out of that. First time I saw that name used in relation to Keanu's new flick, Constantine, was in this article here.

While I know they can screw this film up royally, and we'll never know until Feb. 18th, I have to say that I am eagerly anticipating this adaptation of the DC Comics character. Possibly moreso than any other comic-related film of the last couple of years if what I've seen in the trailers, and the stills, and the interviews (which I've been following pretty closely) are any sort of basis for judgement on the film.

Loyal fans of the series predictably howled in consternation at the defiling of Constantine’s origins. And there were other challenges. First-time director Francis Lawrence was music video guy until he came on board for Constantine.. Even Reeves had reservations about bringing in an acolyte of MTV.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the changes, but it sounds to me like they have come up with a nice riff on the character and his world. Granted, I am also am one of the few people I know who actually does enjoy watching Keanu (ever since seeing The Matrix back in '99) so I'm likely to be more forgiving since I'm rarely fazed by the 'wooden' acting of Mr. Reeves.


Anyways, it's a 10 day countdown from today, so you'll probably be hearing more about Our John in that time until I can get an actual review of the film up. It's anybody's guess which way it'll go but I'm crossing my fingers.

mike

No comments: