Sunday, April 22, 2007

Life's Little Disappointments

I got word on Friday on that Red Cross job I posted about the other day. Turns out I came in as a strong second and they chose, instead, to hire someone who had some previosu history with the organization. Fair enough. It's their NGO and they can do what they want with it. ;)

Normally I wouldn't even blink at this. I've been rejected many, many times before and by less than the RC, but I was kind of putting all of my eggs in the one basket there, so I'm a little disappointed in myself for being such an idiot, and I'm also nursing a bummed ego because I didn't get the job and it was actually a pretty cool position - something I was looking forward to sinking my teeth into.

I know they say that you have to get 100 or more rejections before you get the job you want, and that I'm supposed to just hammer the market with my name and papers, but I'm just so tired of the whole process. With the wife and I being students for more years than I want to think about I've been in and out of seasonal jobs and contract positions for so many years that I wish, just once, that a half-decent opportunity would just drop in my lap.

"Oh, are you looking for something to do with the next few years of your life? Well, it just so happens I know the perfect thing. Here you go. You can have this job."

I just feel like banging my head against a wall for a while. Then, maybe, some sleep. Or a good book, that might do the trick, also. Then, back to the job postings and the résumés.

And, hey, if anybody out there in the MySpace community happens to know anybone who may be looking for a publicist or an events coordinator or a freelancer - something along those lines - I'm all ears. ;)

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: