Tuesday, April 17, 2007

1300 Words and Counting

It would appear that the oft commented on screenplay/comic script for Smitten has muscled its way into becoming a short story. I'm not entirely sure why, or what makes me think I can do prose, but I was in the bathroom, the source for all truly great ideas, when the first line came to me, fully formed and ready to be typed:

"It was dark in the room except for the thin slivers of dawn that forced themselves through the slats in the closed blinds."

Sure, it's not Shakespeare, but it didn't completely suck and it was a great jumping off point. It should come as no surprise that 2 hours later the line now rests somewhere in the middle of the fourth paragraph rather than kicking off the whole affair, but the chain reaction it set off has been both surprising and gratifying for me. I'm not usually comfortable writing outside of an interview or screenplay format so I'm really happy so far with how things are turning out. I may even start posting sections of it here as I smooth out the rough edges.

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: