Friday, March 16, 2007

New Music Worth Checking Out

Maybe new music is a bit of a misnomer since one of these is not what you would call a recent release, but I had never heard it before this week so they are new to me. There you go.

Anyway, I've added some new stuff to the sidebar that I think everyone should check out (at least in the music section) and I thought I would spotlight a couple of the CDs I've been listening to and getting all warm and fuzzy over.

The first CD that has really wowed me in a long time is Josh Rouse's second to last album, 'Nashville'. I loved his '06 offering 'Subtitulo' so when I saw this disc sitting there at the library I snatched it up, eager to pop it into the player in the car on the way home. Both Jen and I were absolutely smitten with the first track, "It's The Nighttime", and the trend continued on as we got deeper into the disc. As driving music goes, at least in my family, 'Nashville' is the best I've heard in some time.

It has quickly become the "Oh, you've gotta hear this whether you like it or not" disc that I'm pushing the most on my family and friends. It's invading CD players all over the Jozic sphere of influence.

I'm also enjoying the brand spanking new CD from Aqualung, 'Memory Man'. It's been a couple of years, I think, since I started raving about Matt Hales and company so I'm really jazzed about having 11 new tracks to pore over and enjoy. I haven't heard the whole album yet but so far I'm enjoying the tracks "Vapour Trail", "Cinderella" and "Pressure Suit", which is also the first single.

What initially attracted me to Aqualung back in the day were the sweeping, ethereal melodies that Hales would combine with the shamelessly romantic and honest lyrics. It reminded me a little bit of my favourite band in the universe, Stars, if you crossed them with Coldplay and Longview. This album is sit back on the couch or chair or wherever you're the most comfortable and just let the music wash over you kind of stuff.

On this album there's also a bit of a switch-up for Hales with the addition of some higher energy material that shakes up the balance a little. A track like "Something to Believe In" with it's pounding rhythm line and frantic pace is by no means a stretch for the artist, but based on his previous output it is a bit of a departure - albeit a welcome one.

So, that's it for me for the day. Be sure to check these out if you know what's good for you.

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: