Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Shared Agony

Now that my wife is home and no longer working for that ass backwards collective, CSALE, she has begun time-sharing on my computer. The laptop which she was working with has been returned to the University leaving all her internet access needs to me and mine.

I expected this. I've been using my PC for 2 years now totally solo so I knew that there would be some adjustments. I knew that I would have to keep my end of the digital world neat and tidy so that she could use the machine without too many problems and so that she wouldn't end up wrecking anything I may have on the go.

The courtesy, unfortunately, does not go both ways. Her laptop was a Mac so she hates working on anything PC, and is somewhat unfamiliar with PC applications now as well, seeing as it's been 2 years since she's had to be on one. Not to mention her overall unfamiliarity with how anything I run works, so I'm always finding downloads no longer running when I get home and me, the silly git that I am, think that the download is done and she's shut down the window when the actual truth is far more unpleasant.

On her Mac, she was used to using the space bar to activate her computer when it went to sleep. So she does that on mine, as well, only she ends up cancelling all my downloads midway through their journey to my hard drive. And that's not even mentioning the fact that I don't have my screensaver active so my monitor should never go to sleep. Probably means she's sitting down when the monitor is off and whacking away at the space bar until all my transfers are gone, then clicking the thing on.

sigh

Okay. Now I've ranted, I've gotten it out of my system. I don't have to bring it up again. And since I know she checks my blog from time-to-time, I can expect to hear about this in the near future.

Later!

mike

No comments: