Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Doctoring the Books

I just got back from running errands, one of which was hitting a used book store to kill off some credit that we had there. One of the books that I grabbed was Dr. No by Ian Fleming, a decision based on my experience reading Diamonds Are Forever a year or so ago. Anyone who has read Fleming's novels knows that the James Bond we see in the films is a shade different from the gentleman we get in the text versions of his adventures, not to mention some of the distinct differences in plot.

There were various different printings of the book available (at least three, from what I can remember) but I chose the one pictured to the right because it included an introduction from Anthony Burgess. The other editions lacked any bonus features, for lack of a better term, and it's something that I've been putting some emphasis on in the last few years when I purchase books. As anybody who reads this Blog knows I'm a bonus features whore and judge much of my media by how much cool stuff gets included with the product.

Although I have read the intro (a nice Holmesian comparison to Bond from Burgess) I have yet to get into the rest of the book. I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs from the film (especially since I didn't care too much for Dr. No as a movie) and will likely post about it here when I do.

Take care and I'll try to post again soon!

mike

No comments: