Saturday, April 08, 2006

My Brains Are Turning to Mush

I think I'm starting to see that old saying 'variety is the spice of life' in a whole new light.

As you may recall from my last post, I've immersed myself in this whole Crisis thing DC has going on. I've been reading the relevant minis and only the direct spin-offs like the "Sacrifice" storyline that ran through the Superman and Wonder Woman titles. I'm probably about halfway through all of them by this point. At last count I've read Identity Crisis #s 1-7, Infinite Crisis 1-6, Superman 219, Action Comics 829, Adventures of Superman 642 & 643, Wonder Woman 219 & 220, The OMAC Project 1-4, Day of Vengeance #1, Villains United #1, DC Special: Return of Donna Troy #s 1-4, and Infinite Crisis: Secret Files and Origins.

I think that's 30 comics and counting. Whew.

One thing I can say about the whole event at this point is that it is very well choreographed. The way one incident in one title gets seen in another book through a different character's perspective is nicely handled and there is a really strong sense of continuity that I haven't seen in comics for a while. Even the art styles tend to be complementary between the main books and the second tier minis. DC, I applaud your efforts. This was obviously well thought out and nurtured by talented writers and artists and, despite the hollow nature of all of these events, it comes off as thorough and entertaining.

Still, I think I'm going to have to take a break because my brain is really turning to mush. My senses dulled after a late evening and morning of marathon reading and it wasn't until I started listening to some music that my head started to clear up.

I think I'm going to go for a Big Gulp or something, too. Fresh air always does a comic-numbed mind good.

mike

No comments: