Friday, April 21, 2006

Movin' On Up

Had another conversation with Jen about the possible and impending move today. We've had the same sort of talk for a couple of months now, but every time it feels like we're getting closer and closer to something resembling a final solution. It has begun to take on this ominous, looming sort of feeling that leaves me feeling somewhat mentally dishevelled afterwards. Still, it is good news that we're making progress and starting to formulate an actual plan that doesn't sound like a kamikaze mission across Canada, if you know what I mean.

Moving locations aside, I've been watching some great movies and reading some great books, as I mentioned in my last post, and it's acting as a nice counterbalance to the heavier things in life.

This evening the wife and I watched Before Sunset which really impressed me despite some wariness going into it. I really liked the first chapter, Before Sunrise, and almost expected the sequel to be a hollow rehashing of the previous film or possibly even an unbelievable continuation of Jesse and Celine's story. Instead, writer/director Richard Linklater created a story that faithfully recreate the dynamic of the first movie but still manages to adds new levels and depth to the characetrs and their star cross'd romance. It's like they're starting over from the beginning but with almost 10 years of baggage informing their decisions this time. It was quaint and simple in execution but rich with a delicate romanticism that hits all the right warm and fuzzy buttons.

I'm also watching old episodes of The Avengers on VHS, but that's something for anohter post.

mike

No comments: