Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Watching Deadwood

Actually, in all fairness, I'm not specifically 'watching' Deadwood so much as watching the Audio Commentaries to the series. I've acquired a set of the DVDs (damn HBO for charging almost a c-note for these things) and I'm just loving every little bit of it. From the episodes themselves to the documentaries and other treats, Deadwood is probably one of the more satisfying DVD sets I've laid my hands on in a while.

David Milch comes across as a pretty interesting guy and I get a kick out of listening to him talk (even if it is sometimes an agonizingly drawn out experience). Also, as a history student myself I find it especially satisfying to find out how much research and thought has gone into the show. They make changes to suit their storytelling purposes but, for the most part, they've gone to great lengths to create a tangible, realistic representation of Deadwood of the period. It's always great when you find out that a show that you love has smart people behind it who are trying.

And for anybody checking in, I apologise for the lack of posts of late. The wife has been doing some work on the computer and she's been hogging the machine all week. Considering there's a considerable sum of money attached to what she's doing, I'm not raising a fuss over it. I'll just have to settle for playing with my DVD collection some more while I wait for some time to free up.

Until then...

mike

No comments: