Sunday, February 05, 2006

Return to Deep Space

It has been a while since I've posted any of my thoughts on Deep Space Nine so, since I have recently picked up where I left off with the series, I decided it was time to resurrect the ol' Deep Space Thoughts posts. I hope this doesn't cause you all to flee in panic.

One of the benefits of starting to watch the show again is that I have now, officially, completed the first season. I have seen many of the show's episodes before, and came very close to getting the whole whack of them in on my last pass over with my buddy Brad's VHS copies but, until now, I haven't seen all 19 episodes in order and in a row. In the Hands of the Prophets ended shortly before I started typing this, and I think the next episode on the list to post on is 1x16, so here goes...

If Wishes Were Horses (1x16): Probably one of the worst episodes of Season 1, but not as bad as I was previously led to believe - or perhaps I'm just feeling overly generous given my long absence.

The story revolves around the fantasies of the crew becoming reality while they deal with the added trouble of a plasma field which threatens to destroy the station. As it turns out, the fantasies are, in reality, explorers that have recently travelled through the wormhole and are observing us and learning about us. The crew also learns that the plasma field was a figment of their imaginations turned real, and when they realise this, it disappears.

Pretty pedestrian plot that feels like something we've pretty much seen before in the Star Trek universe. Perhaps a recycled TNG episode? If I recall correctly, the DS9 companion that I had for a while stated that this was not one of the producer's favourite episodes either, nor one of the cast's.

Overall, a less than inspired episode that, while not entirely without entertainment value, fails on enough counts to make me want to breeze on to the next episode in line.

The Forsaken (1x17): After last episodes hiccup of quality we return to the good stuff with The Forsaken.

The A plot, as it were, is a standard Maguffin story featuring a strange probe that comes through the wormhole. While the DS9 folks try to download the data from the probe, it manages to somehow get into the stations computers and wreaks havoc with them. The rest of the character stories in the episode, however, are what make this one so entertaining - particularly Odo's.

I've never been a fan of Lwaxana Troi and I was worried when she came on with love eyes for Odo. When a guest character you dislike gets on your show to attempt to romance a characetr you find interesting, it usually amounts to a lot of eye rolling and getting up for snacks whenever they have scenes together. In The Forsaken the writers manage to push past the tired old clichés and use the opportunity to advance Odo's character and add hidden depth to Lwaxana, as well. Instead of being the show's resident comic relief, she ends up as one of the most sympathetic characetrs on the show. I'd almost say I'm looking forward to her return.

And while I won't get into details, I should also mention that Bashir's subplot was equally entertaining, despite its rocky start.

A nice episode overall.

Three more to go before season's end. I'll get to those in another post.

mike

No comments: