Monday, February 20, 2006

My Faith in Frankie

Just got back from the library and just finished reading one of the books I took out, My Faith in Frankie. I missed this series when it was released in serilaised form but I'd heard really good things about it and was thrilled when I stumbled across it on the rack. I started in on it almost immediately after getting in the house and didn't really stop for much until I was finished with it.

I've enjoyed Mike Carey's work on Lucifer and Hellblazer, but seeing as how Frankie is a totally different bag I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm pleased to say that Mike delivered a strong (if not occasionally predictable) theological romantic comedy that reminded me of some of my favourite J.M. DeMatteis stuff. The artist, Sinny Liew, is totally new to me but he did a great job with Marc Hempel at making these characters likeable, loveable and worth looking at page after page.

The only downside was that the book was not in colour, but grey tones. I think I may go and pick up the individual issues when I can to see the whole thing the way it originally appeared.

I'm going to go read Palomar, now. Or maybe Summer Blonde. I think I have some interesting reading ahead of me.

mike

No comments: