Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Belated Christmas Wishes

I hope everybody had a really good Christmas, I know I was surprised by how good mine was. For most of the weeks and days leading up to the 24th and 25th I was in a bit of a funk. I'm not sure if it was even Christmas related but it was certainly there and it was affecting how I was looking at the whole seasonal ordeal. I think I may have mentioned in a previous post how things sort of changed at the last minute, though. It was pretty much an 11th hour recovery, too. All of a sudden, Christmas got kind of fun, I started looking forward to the whole family and friends thing, and I took a little bit of joy, I think, in knowing how my kids would go crazy for their Christmas presents. And really, when you have kids, bottom line is that it's really all about them, isn't it?

As for the days themselves, they were pretty decent. Christmas Eve was spent having dinner with my in-laws and watching my kids open bunches of presents, Christmas Day was spent first at my place watching kids open our presents and the Santa presents (and watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest) and then off to Grandma Jozic's for another supper and even more gifts. The kids got a PS2 so I set that up for them then we went home and watched the last 2 episodes of Freaks & Geeks. For the record, one of the best shows ever made for television. I was actually choked up to see the final credits roll.

Another nice aspect of Christmas this year was seeing my buddy Brad who came in from Edmonton to be with family (if you're reading this, Brad, I apologise for not calling Christmas Day and the kids loved the presents) as well as my friend carly, who I haven't seen in some time. Both showed up to say hi and drop off gifts for the kids so we got a little catch up visit in before they had to go their respective ways. Jen's friend Meg and my other buddy Chris who's been roughing it out in the boonies of British Columbia will be here for New Years so that'll be nice to see them as well.

At the end of it all I even found myself to be getting excited for Boxing Day. I don't normally go out on Boxing Day for two reasons: I'm either working or I'm broke. This year I was neither so I gleefully made my way out to Wal-Mart to check out their Boxing Day DVD clearout. I managed to snag a few goodies that will keep me happy for the next little while. They are as follows:

King Kong for $5
The Doors for $5
Breakfast at Tiffany's: Anniversary Edition for $10
Futurama Season 2 for $18
Ghost in the Shell for $10
The Batman Season 1 for $15
Magnum P.I. Season 1 & 2 combined for $30 and for my brother's birthday

I think that's the list. There may be a disc or two missing but I'm pretty sure that's the whole thing.

Oh, and we also watched Conversations with Other Women when we got home last night and it was a really impressive little movie. It's all done in split screen and features Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter as two people who bump into each other at a wedding and begin a conversation. I don't want to say much more so as not to give any of the fun stuff away, but it's well worth your time to check it out.

So, all in all it was a pretty good holiday weekend. I had the three days off, the kids and family had fun, Jen and I had fun, my brother got a kick out of his early birthday present and much food was consumed.

I give the whole thing a 7.5 out of 10.

Now the countdown to New Years.

Later!

mike

No comments: