Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Toth Tribute?

As some of you may know I am in the process of interviewing Jeff Parker and John Hitchcock regarding the upcoming Toth sketchbook, Dear John: The Alex Toth Doodle Book. While doing so it has occurred to me that it might be an interesting idea to create some sort of tribute to Toth, much in the same way that I created a tribute to Will Eisner a handful of years ago. Really, it sort of occurred to me because of a comment Chcuk Dixon made to me via e-mail when I was soliciting tributes from various comic creators for the event. He said that while he recognised Will's contributions to the medium, he was more of a Toth fan and that if I ever did a tribute for him he would, I believe the words were, sing me an opera (don't quote me on that).

Anyway, those two things, combined with my eternal regret that I never interviewed the man himself, sort of mixed and jumbled in my head until they congealed into a 'sort of plan' as to how I could do it. I wanted to stay away from anything that would take too much time web-wise, so I would probably stick to the format of my Eisner tribute and fill-in-the-blanks, so to speak. I could send out a handful of e-mails again and get some more industry tributes and if I could think of one other thing (on top of the Parker/Hitchcock Dear John interviews), I would have myself a decent little presentation I could post over at Meanwhile....

Release it all to coincide with the release of the book from Octopus Press and I have myself a mini-event.

I also kind of like the idea of having two of my favourite comic book legends represented like that on my website.

Man, I think I'm starting to talk myself into it.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone would be interested in seeing this happen.

Later!

mike

No comments: