Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Madness...Madness!

So, I've finally managed to sit my ass down and watch The Bridge on the River Kwai. I borrowed it from a friend in exchange for my Patton DVD, and recently made a pre-New Years resolution to watch the damn thing before the year is up (my friend with the Patton DVD is under the same agreement to finish that film as well).

I enjoyed the film. David Lean is no slouch when it comes to making movies (Lawrence of Arabia is, and remains, one of my favourite flicks of all time) and this movie certainly earned every one of its Oscars. Still, I had some trouble getting into the story and it wasn't until the very end that I got excited about them. Alec Guinness was fantastic as Colonel Nicholson but I've never been a big fan of William Holden. He's in a lot of movies I like (Sabrina, Stalag 17 - hmmm...a Billy Wilder theme developing?) but his style comes off as a bit...loose.

All in all it was a pretty good World War II movie (one of the better I've seen of the old crop) and I'll likely watch it again on DVD someday. The widescreen VHS was nice but the clarity on the DVD...it just makes a lot of difference. ;)

On a bit of a side note, I just bought When Trumpets Fade on DVD from Wal-Mart during their Boxing Day sale and I'm looking forward to seeing that movie again. It was another WWII movie done for HBO starring Ron Eldard and Frank Whaley, and was directed by John Irvin who also did Hamburger Hill. A good flick and definitely worth the $5 I paid for it!

I also got some ancient Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers tapes, but that'll wait for another post.


mike

No comments: