Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Give Me Some Sugar, Baby!

Kind of continuing with the whole film theme I seem to have established here in the last few posts, I just finished reading the Bruce Campbell autobiography, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor. It was a Christmas gift from my brother who couldn't have possibly known how much I would enjoy it. I'm sure he just saw Bruce Campbell's name and figured, "Oh what the heck. He likes those Evil Dead movies and the guy likes to read." I saw the frenzied "what to get" look on his face several times last week, so I'm sure that putting two and two together was pretty much the entirety of the decison making process.

One unexpected side-effect of reading the book, however, is that I want to make another short film - right now! The can-do spirit that created those early Super-8 films made by Campbell, Raimi, Josh Becker, John Cameron and others is pretty contagious, and the fever has been passed on whether I'm ready for it or not.

I was sort of counting the days until I decided to mount another small production (as I think I mentioned in a previous post) but was never confident what I would tackle next. I adapted a Neil Gaiman story a little while ago to use as a technical exercise (and hey, when you didn't write the thing, the disappointment is a little less debilitating) but I don't think I'm quite ready for that one just yet. There's some make-up and costume requirements that I'm not sure I can handle yet. I needed to find something smaller, more intimate and not "mine" that I could get permission to use and shoot. I have an idea of what I would like to do, but I still have to seek permission from the original author so I won't mention any names or titles just yet.

I've done some preliminary work on the script and it looks really good, so I hope everything pans out all right for this project.

mike

No comments: