Monday, January 07, 2008

Samurai Tourist

As anyone who has kept up with the blog must know, I am a big fan of Stan Sakai's very cool Usagi Yojimbo comic book. For the last little while, I have been working my way through the collected books and finally reading the series in chronological order rather than in the piecemeal fashion I have in the past. The last book I read (Book 8, I think) featured the Ninja Turtles/Usagi cross-over story which I vaguely remembered from back in the day when I was a huge Eastman/Laird Turtles fan and still find pretty entertaining now despite the hackneyed plot contrivances used to bring the two properties together.

Flash forward to last night when I decided to pop in Simon's TMNT Season 4 DVDs and the episode, "Samurai Tourist".

On Boxing Day I bought the TMNT CGI movie for Simon (dirt cheap, I might add) and watched the audio commentary for it about 4 or 5 days ago. It kind of got me in a Turtle sort of mood and, lacking any actual comic books that I have easy access to, I popped in the series DVDs to get my fix. Two episodes in there's a rhino with his horn cut off who looks remarkably like Gen walking around Manhattan. I know I shouldn't have been surprised because Usagi has made prior appearances on the show, but it was a surprise so I got a smidge excited.

The episode was not all that great, all things considered, but it was still a neat-o little guest-shot that I stumbled into and it sort of made my night.

Doesn't speak much for how I spend my nights, does it?

Anyway, thanks to the Usagi Yojimbo Dojo for the pic of the cute little bugger to the right, and with that I'll sign off for the night.

Later!

mike

No comments: