Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Searching For Brian K. Vaughan

Man, I feel like crap today. I was actually going to call in sick but realised that instead of three people being on the floor today it was just myself and one other salesperson, Jen. So, instead of being at home, wallowing in self-pity and medicating myself, I'm here trying to sell cars that just don't seem to want to be sold.

Anyway, the title of this post is referring to my recent decision to possibly do an interview with comic scribe, Brian K. Vaughan. To be honest, I don't read a lot of his work. Runaways never grabbed me initially despite the hype, and Y The Last Man just never made it onto my radar. I remember seeing his Swamp Thing and passing and wanted to pick up his Marvel Max mini-series The Hood but, for whatever reason (probably cash flow), never did.

What I have read of Vaughan's is the previously posted about The Escapists which has become my new favourite read. It's also a book nobody seems to be talking about. every interview I've read covers his more popular books or the new graphic novel that just hit bookshelves, Pride of Baghdad (which looks fabulous, in case anyone is wondering).

So, I've been researching the guy. Reading whatever interviews I can to first see if there's a point to interviewing him (i rarely do vanity interviews just for the sake of being able to say 'I interviewed creator-x') and to determine what sorts of questions I would probably be asking him if I were to take the plunge. Another aspect of finding out whether or not I should interview him is the amount of reading I'll have to cram in as I get acquainted with his non-Escapists books. Not a challenge I'm intimidated by, but one that I'd generally avoid if I wasn't getting itno a Q&A with the guy. Sure, I'll probably sample them now that I've read all about them because I'm a sucker for getting caught up in other people's enthusiasm over their projects, but that I can do in my own time.

So far, the prognosis is that I'm not sure if I really have anything to add to the BKV interview millieu, but I continue to work on it. I have a half-a-dozen questions so far. If I can make it to 20, I'll drop him an e-mail and a request for some of his time. If it'sa phoner, I'm sure it'll be a good read but if I'm relegated to e-mail it's a bit more challenging.

I'm going to get back to work. I'll probably update throughout the day since I'm predicting it'll be a slow one.

Later!

mike

No comments: