Friday, January 14, 2011

Reading Some Greek Street

Typical that just before I decided that I did, indeed, enjoy Peter Milligan's latest creator-owned offering, Greek Street, I find out that it has been cancelled as of its 16th issue. Not sure how long ago that was but it's been a bit. I seem to have a history of being attached in some way to books that don't survive. I'm a walking, talking, cancelled comics cavalcade, you might say.

Anyway, I grabbed the first collected edition of GS at my local library thinking, "I'm going to give this book another chance", and found myself really enjoying the heck out of it the second time around. I'm still not overly familiar with the Greek tragedies that the stories and characters are based on, but the stories in the first 5 or 6 issues was compelling enough for me to ignore that fact. Add to that the beautiful artwork of Davide Gianfelice and you have a comic book that was definitely unappreciated in its time. From what I've read in interviews with Milligan, he really hoped this would be another long-term project and he had a lot of stories to tell.

As it is, there are 16 issues of the series and I have yet to read 10 or 11 of them, so at least I have that to look forward to. I'm also able to continue enjoying Milligan's writing over on John Constantine: Hellblazer, so it's not like I'll be going without his particular brand of storytelling month in and month out.

I do recommend checking out Greek Street, though, if you haven't already. It's definitely not for everyone, but it may tickle your fancy.

Later.

mike

No comments: