Thursday, September 11, 2008

Whatever Happened to the Wave?

I know this will probably come off whiny, but I was out and about with the wife in the car today and couldn't help but get enraged when she let another car into her lane and the other driver never gave her the obligatory thank you wave. Now, I don't know if it's just not cool anymore to give some form of appreciation when another driver goes out of their way to make your commuting life/day a little bit easier, but I was raised to give visible thanks. It just seems proper, you know? Especially with all the road raging and hellish traffic experiences you always hear about. You all have your own stories, I'm sure.

My wife always gets amused when she sees how much it bothers me. I try to tell her that I'm not at all surprised that it doesn't phase her because 80% of all drivers that I personally let in who don't wave tend to be women. I'm not sure why, it just seems to be the case. I asked her if she extends the same courtesy when she's let it and she replied, "sometimes".

Urgh.

On a positive note, the next two vehicles that we encountered in a similar situation did give a little wave when they merged so it hasn't all gone to hell in a handbasket yet. And for those of you who are grousing because of my woman comment, one of them was a woman, so you're not all bad.

Anyway, I'm always wanting to post on the blog after some driving experience drives me mad (don't get me started on four-way stops and the greatest evil known to motorists, the uncontrolled intersection) but I always forget to do it by the time I'm home or don't feel equally enraged by the event. As it is, I figured I'd rant it up a bit and save the non-pop culture freaks out there another review of whatever anime I happen to be watching and give them something a bit more relatable.

Later!

mike

No comments: