Friday, November 09, 2007

Listenin' to the Podcast

Throughout the first two seasons of Galactica I followed the Ronald D. Moore podcasts religiously. I sort of let it slide with season 3, for some reason, but with the upcoming film, Battlestar Galactica: Razor, hitting the Sci-Fi channel in a couple of weeks I figured I'd give myself a bit of a Galactica refresher.

I usually listen to commentaries and interviews on my iPod as I'm going to work, while I'm on my coffee and lunch breaks, and as I'm coming home, so I've been putting the Galactica podcasts on there and going through them starting with the first two-part episode. I'm remembering some of the things that are being said because of the first time I listened to them back when they were originally posted, but I'm also picking up new observations and accomplishing my overall task of getting my brain wrapped up in the Galactica universe again.

It's tough when a show goes off the air for months at a time. It's been a while since season 3 reached it's strange and baffling crescendo, and from all the information I've seen since, it will be some months before we officially return to the continuiing storyline in season 4. It sort of takes you out of the story to the point where you stop caring what's coming up. You can only sustain that cliffhanger interest for so long and when you live without it around for that long, with no satisfying conclusion of any kind, it just tends to fade away.

So, hopefully the podcasts keep the interest level high and Razor does its job of keeping the home fires burning while we ramp up to the season 4 premiere. I do miss the show, and this will be the last season, so I want to go into it with the right kind of headspace.

Onwards and upwards!

mike

No comments: