Saturday, November 03, 2007

All Hallow's Eve Post-Game

Halloween has always been a favourite time of year for me. When I was much younger, it was all about the costumes and the candy, but as I got older, it kind of became a time when I could indulge my interest in the horror genre and other ooky things without drawing too much undue attention.

Although there were times where we wanted to, we've never bothered going all out with the decorations or attended many Halloween costume parties in the past. Post high school and post parenthood, it just wasn't ever very practical. In many cases, we've been so busy with school or jobs or kids stuff that the 31st just sort of sneaks up on us and we don't really have time to put anything together specifically for us. Now that I think about it, we did manage to hit a party a couple of years ago that some people from University were putting on but that is usually an exception to the rule. I'm not sure if there are any pictures from that night. I do remember that I was Woody from Toy Story but I can't remember what Jen was done up as.

I also remember that was the night I got my The Office DVDs.

But I digress.

This year I wanted to make a bit more of a showing in the effort department and invited some friends to come over after the kids were done trick-or-treating and watch a horror movie. I invited a couple of people from my side and a couple from Jen's. My brother Ed and Jen's friends Kim and Jillian were the three who showed up (shame on you Bonnie, shame, shame).

My brother Ed and I got a bit of a kick start to the festivities by going to see 30 Days of Night on the Monday before Halloween (my second time, his first) so I wondered if he was going to subject himself to more goop and gore, but he seems to be growing accustomed to horror movies these days (a genre which he stayed well clear of for years) and even enjoyed himself on both occasions. I had already gotten my spook on with a bunch of related shows and movies, catching up on some of the Masters of Horror episodes I missed and watching the 30 Days of Night: Blood Trails short film on FearNet. I even pulled out one of my Books of Blood and started rereading 'Son of Celluloid'.


On the Wednesday we ended up watching George A. Romero's Land of the Dead 'til the wee hours of the night and, thankfully, it was a better movie than anyone expected. Jillian was the only one who showed up in costumebut I think she secretly finds any occasion to wear the Hogwart's uniform she put together.

Overall it was a fun night, I think everyone enjoyed themselves (with the exception of the Zombie clown that freaked Kim out so bad she got up and ran away from the TV for a while) and I have a slew of ideas for what we could do with the place and the night next year. There were a few decorating ideas I had to set on the back burner this time around, so hopefully I'll prepare better next time. Heck, doing a costume night may even be the way to go.

So, thanks again to those who came out and here's to next year!

mike

No comments: