Tuesday, May 16, 2006

What's Next?

I was at my local comic store today after work and I found myself asking James (the guy behind the counter) if he knew anyone who would be interested in maybe drawing a story like Smitten. I was a little surprised with myself since I'd mentioned it, like, last night as a joke in one o fmy posts and never intended to seriously solicit help fropm anyone in specific. Still, I feel like I may have started the ball rolling, to a limited degree, and I'm feeling confident that things will only get more interesting from here on in.

And while I'm on the topic of doing things that I didn't expect to be doing, I'm considering entering NextFest again this year. I really had no intention of doing so, especially since a move this summer would have taken me two or three provinces away from the festival, but now that we're hunkering down for one more year I'm debating on whether or not I want to get embroiled in the whole 'making-a-movie' thing again. I'd be pitching for the DG48 competition which is a 48 hour digital guerilla thing. You have 2 days to shoot and cut your movie using the limited resources provided to you by the festival organisers. It's a manic period with no sleep, but it's not drawn out like the DG14 which was 2 weeks of my life that screwed up 2 months of sleep and eating habits.

The process for the DG48 is to have an original script and idea and pitch the project to a commitee who then decides if it is worth producing. If they agree, you get a green light and 2 days to make the thing. If not, you try again next time. With the DG48 you supply the equipment while they give you a theme, genre and prop which must appear in your film. You then have 2 weeks to write a 7 to 10 minute movie around those elements. Your film is judged on overall quakity and whether or not you implemented the three criteria well.

I have a script that I've been wanting to shoot that would fit well in the DG48 competition. My greatest weak point right now is my utter lack of warm bodies to make it with. I know no actors or crew right now and it's sort of something you have to have in place before you start. Everything else seems to be in order, though, so maybe I'll sniff around and see what I can come up with, regardless. Submission deadline is sometime in June, I think, so who knows, that may be enough time to rally some troops behind me.

Ah well, food for thought, I guess.

I'm gonna head off for bed, now.

Later!

mike

No comments: