Tuesday, June 28, 2005

No Melancholy Until September

I visited the Paved Arts site today and they are officially shut down and starting the move to their new location. This means that they are accepting no new memberships and equipment will not be available for rental until September 2005. Originally I saw this as an obstacle to putting Photographs of Melancholy Girls together since I wouldn't be able to shoot anything prior to the fall, but it's more of a blessing than anything else.

When you don't have a lot of experience doing this sort of thing it's easy to get distracted and focusing on the actual photography while glossing over the prep time (which is far less fun). Pre-production was a 'luxury' I didn't have on my first short, and I promised myself that I would not put myself in that position if I ever ended up doing it again. Paved closing for the summer means I have 2 months to pull up the ol' shirtsleeves and handle the prep before I have to think about handling any of the equipment. When I think about it, at my experience level, 2 months is probably a conservative estimate for the time I'll actually need to find and organise everything.

So, what I originally thought was bad news is actually the exact news I needed to hear right now. I've got my adapted script, I've got my buffer-zone, now I just need to light a fire and start getting the job done.

mike

No comments: